Tractors are critical pieces of equipment on several farms in the Simcoe County region, not to mention they’re usually one of the biggest investments a farmer will make. While tractors are designed to be much safer than they were in the past, they can still lead to serious injuries and/or fatalities.
If there are current defects in your tractor, or if operated in an unsafe manner, a tractor can be a very dangerous piece of machinery. For the protection of your family, it’s imperative that you have the proper farming insurance, including the necessary coverage for your operating machinery.
Perhaps to some individuals, operating a tractor may seem like an easy task, but in many situations it isn’t. Even the most experienced farmer who has been operating a tractor for decades can become distracted and cause an accident if not careful. By keeping your eyes open and remaining alert at all times, you can prevent injury and therefore prevent the need to file an insurance claim. We have put together a list of preventative measures every individual operating a tractor should practice.
Tips to Operating a Tractor Safely:
- Keep people away from the general area in which the tractor is being operated
- Drive the vehicle smoothly, and refrain from sudden jerks or turns
- Stay away from ditches, holes and steep drops
- Always ensure the brake is set when at a stop
- Wear safety restraints such as seat belts and equip the tractor with roll-over protection structures
- Use hand gestures or signals for communication, as a running motor can make hearing difficult
- Always wear the necessary safety gear: goggles, gloves, safety shoes and helmets
- Always have a first aid kit handy in the event of an injury
- Keep the wheels wide set to stop tip overs
- Never carry extra passengers
- Maintain the recommended weight requirements for hitching and towing
- Keep the tractor in gear when moving downhill
- Use the clutch carefully when moving up hill
At Will Marshall Insurance, we want farmers in the Simcoe County region to thoroughly understand the laws and regulations surrounding tractor operation. We will ensure to review your current farm insurance policy and recommend any amendments that may be beneficial in protecting your farm and its assets. Our goal is to design a farm insurance package that speaks directly to your unique farming needs, but as always it’s important to learn about the restrictions that may be in place for claims involving tractor accidents. At the end of the day, we want our customers to spend more time enjoying the things they love and less time worrying about them!
Contact us today for a free consultation. Call 705-726-2551