A Detailed and Easy-to-Read Contract
Be sure that you are provided with a contract that clearly indicates the terms of a renter’s stay. Ensuring both parties are on the same page and mutually understand all aspects of the contract will help to keep everyone happy after the fact.
Don’t forget to address any seemingly small issues or concerns ahead of time, because in many cases disagreements stem from misunderstandings that were not written out in the contract to begin with. When rules are communicated properly and as a renter you know exactly what the cottage owner expects and will/will not tolerate, you can relax and enjoy your vacation without the stress of wondering whether or not everything is ok.
What Should the Contract and Rental Agreement Address?
- The location
- How many people the cottage can lodge
- The rental period
- The check-in and check-out times
- Whether or not smoking or pets are permitted
- The payment structure
- If deposits are required
- The cancellation policy
- The responsibilities of the owner and renter: this includes the condition of the property, and damages, cleaning, repairs etc.
Ask the Right Questions
- It’s a good idea to request references from past renters prior to signing on the dotted line
- Reviews are often available online
- If it seems too good to be true, it more than likely is. Go with your gut; if a listing has gorgeous pictures but the price is much cheaper than other cottages in the region, you should be asking why
- Never pay in full up front; a deposit is the only thing you should be paying initially
- Always be cautious of cottage owners who request payment by cash, Western Union, etc
- Remember to take pictures of the cottage upon arrival and before you leave. Use your phone or camera where dates can be tracked. This will prove that you left the cottage in the same condition upon arrival if you should hear of complaints following your stay.
Will Marshall Insurance wishes you a wonderful cottage getaway! With some simple precautionary measures, you can protect your family and enjoy a relaxing holiday the cottage of your choice.
Have questions? Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team.