As the holiday season gets into full swing, if you haven’t done so already, chances are you’ll be decorating your home this weekend to spread some Christmas cheer and make your home festive! I’m sure you can agree that there’s nothing quite like the gorgeous glow of Christmas lights on your Christmas tree or the outside of your home; they are simply beautiful to see in December!
However, while decorating your home can be a fun and exciting process, it can also present some concerns. Will Marshall Insurance wants to provide you with a few holiday tips to ensure these gorgeous, colourful gems don’t lead to an electrical fire.
Consider the following decoration tips for a safe and joyous holiday season:
For the Christmas Tree:
• Cut a five-centimeter diagonal piece off of the bottom of the trunk of your tree. This allows the tree to absorb water easier.
• Be sure to situate your tree in a sturdy stand and away from heat sources such as vents or fireplaces.
• Check that your tree stand can hold water, and be sure to fill up it up daily. Dry trees can quickly ignite.
• Ideally, a tree should only be in your home for approximately two weeks, as beyond this it can become highly flammable due to drying out.
For Decorative Lighting:
• Purchase electrical decorations that have a CSA approval on the label. This indicates that they have been tested for safety purposes.
• Never use outlets or cords with exposed wires.
• Inspect both new and used Christmas lights before plugging them in. Dispose of any that have cracks, exposed wires, or loose connections.
• Replace any Christmas bulbs that are missing.
• Never connect more than three sets of lights to one extension cord.
• Refrain from securing outside lights with staples or nails
• Never place indoor extension cords under furniture, carpets, or rugs.
• Always unplug Christmas lights prior to leaving your home or going to bed for the night.
Contact Will Marshall in Barrie and Orillia for more tips on holiday safety. Our goal is to help protect you from the unexpected, and give you the peace of mind in knowing that we have you covered. Ensure you take the necessary precautionary steps above and you’ll be fully prepared for a safe, holiday season.
Call our Barrie office at 705-726-2551, or our Orillia office at 705-326-5664
Will Marshall Insurance wishes you a safe and wonderful Christmas!